Register a Child and Family
A child and family are eligible to receive Connection Kick Start©, providing connections to community support resources, and personalized and timely access to a community resource or support service if the family lives with and has concerns about a child who:
- Is 12 years of age or less,
- Resides in Canada, or
- Is at risk for or has a developmental delay, disability or disorder, identified by a parent, professional or educator. The confirmation of a formal condition by a medical doctor (MD) is not required.
Note that if your child and family are not eligible for any of our services, the $49 file opening fee will not be processed. If the $49 file opening fee is a barrier, and a child and family are eligible, no worries. Together, we will work something out.
*: If a referral to a community resource or support service is advisable, a Companion may connect you to an agency or provider in health such as medicine, occupational therapy (OT), speech therapy (SLP), psychology, physiotherapy, special education, counselling, psycho-education, spirituality, and other expert support for children and their family, and/or to a service in parent education, parent groups, financial programs, social services support, recreation, leisure, sports or arts program.
For a Great Family Start
Connection Kick Start© is our signature program run by trained, volunteer Companions. Our promise is to provide a Great Family Start by connecting families to resources they need as rapidly and as effectively as possible.
For a Great Kick Start, first, please complete both boursary and family forms, and return them as soon as possible to the address indicated below. Next is the information about the process to get rapid access to a community resource or support service.
Requesting to Open a File
To make a request for rapid access to community resource or support service for your child and family, we have to open a file on behalf of your family. So, the first step is to register for our Connection Kick Start© program.
To open a file, it is important to fully complete the boursary form and family form. Your child and family may be eligible for financial programs depending on the combined family income, among other factors. After the Team of Companions receives your completed boursary form, they can analyze your family’s resources, and opportunities for your child and family to receive support from a community resource or support service in financial help. The family form includes information on the development and needs of your child and family. Both forms are required to open a file.
Once completed, the two forms allow us to:
- Confirm the eligibility of your child and family to receive Connection Kick Start©,
- Analyze the file to identify family needs and resources,
- Help design a personalized paediatric program, tailored to your needs, and
- Orient and connect you to one or several community resources or support services in your area. When sending these forms, they must be accompanied by the required items mentioned in the form, and a minimal amount of $49 to cover the file opening fee. For only $1 more become a voting member, and you have the right to vote at the Annual General Meeting (AGM). It is thanks to our voting members that we can offer our services!
Last, please send the forms to the address found in the forms.
Note that we must have the signatures of both parents (or legal guardians) of the child to open a file. Upon receipt of the forms and all other required items, we will open the file for your family. Opening a file does not oblige you to continue with our services.